SMSL D400EX & D400ES - Impressions Thread
Oct 28, 2022 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 284

XERO1

Headphoneus Supremus
XQ2D400EX33.jpeg
XQ2D400ES34.jpeg
XQ2D400ES32.jpeg

Here are two new DACs from SMSL. They both use the exact same chassis but differ in that the D400EX uses two of AKM's new TOTL DAC chips (the 2-channel AK4499EX) and the D400ES, which uses one of ESS's new TOTL DAC chips (the 8-channel ES9039MS PRO). They both look like they offer a lot of performance, features and build quality for the money.

D400EX (MSRP $959.99) - https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/806.html

D400ES (MSRP $799.99) - https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/807.html

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 284
That dual 4499EX model looks intriguing. Been getting the upgraditus for a few months and might be ready to take the plunge. I'm normally a guy who buys dacs and amps on the used market so I don't get burned on the resale down the road, but this might be the exception.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 284
That duel 4499EX model looks intriguing. Been getting the upgraditus for a few months and might be ready to take the plunge. I'm normally a guy who buys dacs and amps on the used market so I don't get burned on the resale down the road, but this might be the exception.
Its great to see another RVA resident here!!

Nov 2, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 284
Nov 5, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #9 of 284
It's interesting that with the ESS variant, the PCM filters now include an option for Filter Off as well as Low Dispersion. I wonder if Filter Off really means that no PCM filter is used? Also the remote functionality (on both variants) allows for the switching of either/both the single ended and balanced outputs. This could be helpful when A/B-ing something like a subwoofer from the listening position.

Nov 7, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #10 of 284
Just received the SMSL D400EX from Apos yesterday. I've already gotten rid of my previous desktop DAC (Topping D70s) so I won't foolishly try to compare from memory. Suffice to say that the D400EX sounds fantastic. It also looks great and I've experienced none of the firmware/driver issues I had experienced previously with my Topping DAC. Very happy so far and I'll try to A/B test in the next few weeks with some other DACs I've got around the house.

Nov 7, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 284
Just received the SMSL D400EX from Apos yesterday. I've already gotten rid of my previous desktop DAC (Topping D70s) so I won't foolishly try to compare from memory. Suffice to say that the D400EX sounds fantastic. It also looks great and I've experienced none of the firmware/driver issues I had experienced previously with my Topping DAC. Very happy so far and I'll try to A/B test in the next few weeks with some other DACs I've got around the house.
Very curious about this one! Having also a Topping D70s (and very happy with it) I'm wondering this one is worth the upgrade? My interest goes specially to dual AKM designs, I only care about the sound quality (features are not important for me). Hope to hear your opinion before the end of the 1-11sales :wink: thanks! BTW do you know the RCA voltage out from the RCA, can't find this in the specs..

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #12 of 284
Very curious about this one! Having also a Topping D70s (and very happy with it) I'm wondering this one is worth the upgrade? My interest goes specially to dual AKM designs, I only care about the sound quality (features are not important for me). Hope to hear your opinion before the end of the 1-11sales :wink: thanks! BTW do you know the RCA voltage out from the RCA, can't find this in the specs..
I'm really enjoying the D400EX so far - it sounds really great. Truthfully, it sounds a lot like the D70s (dual 4497 chips) and I doubt I'd be able to differentiate them in a blind test. I find that the D400EX seems to really exemplify the "relaxed" AKM sound and treble is perfect to my treble-sensitive ears. Definitely not saying that it lacks in any dynamics, but my completely subjective and probably biased opinion is that AKM DACs sound more refined and pleasurable to my ears, especially in the treble region. I am planning to A/B the D400EX against my Topping D50s which uses an ESS chip, so we'll see if that holds up in a side-by-side, albeit sighted testing environment.

As it relates to the Topping D70s. I really liked that DAC too. However, I had all sorts of issues with the firmware and drivers. I'd get brief pauses in MQA playback all the time and my computer would forget the DAC after going to sleep despite me adjusting every setting I could think of. I experience none of these issues with the SMSL so far. Regarding output voltage for RCA vs. Balanced, I'm honestly not sure. I thought I had seen somewhere that the voltages were more in line with industry standard (unlike the D70s), but I haven't been able to find that source so might have been a dream.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #13 of 284
I'm really enjoying the M400EX so far - it sounds really great. Truthfully, it sounds a lot like the D70s (dual 4497 chips) and I doubt I'd be able to differentiate them in a blind test. I find that the D400EX seems to really exemplify the "relaxed" AKM sound and treble is perfect to my treble-sensitive ears. Definitely not saying that it lacks in any dynamics, but my completely subjective and probably biased opinion is that AKM DACs sound more refined and pleasurable to my ears, especially in the treble region. I am planning to A/B the M400EX against my Topping D50s which uses an ESS chip, so we'll see if that holds up in a side-by-side, albeit not blind, testing environment.

As it relates to the Topping D70s. I really liked that DAC too. However, I had all sorts of issues with the firmware and drivers. I'd get brief pauses in MQA playback all the time and my computer would forget the DAC after going to sleep (despite me adjusting every setting I could think of). I experience none of these issues with the SMSL so far. Regarding output voltage for RCA vs. Balanced, I'm honestly not sure. I thought I had seem somewhere that the voltages were more in line with industry standard (unlike the D70s), but I haven't been able to find that source so might have been a dream.

Nov 7, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #14 of 284
Thanks for this fast reply! Because I use a streamer and don't use MQA I never experienced any problems with the D70s. I appreciate your honest opinion and based on your first impression I will stick with the D70s for now. I'm also very treble sensitive and have 0 complaints with the D70s. Anyway, nice to see that some new AKM designs are coming, the last few months it was only about R2R and ESS 😅 the RCA output from the D70s is 2.5Vrms which works great with my amplifier. Most other devices are 2 or 2.2...strange they don't include this in the specifications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back