SMSL D400EX & D400ES - Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #16 of 284
I have just ordered mine from HiFiGo. It's already on the plane. I am extremely curious. It is my first AKM-based DAC. I have been listening to ESS 9028/38 for years.
Over the last months, I had modded the Topping D90SE to sound fantastic. Alas, I broke it and so I took the opportunity to try something fresh.
Provided there is no warranty seal, I will post detailed images from the inside with parts analysis.

Nov 9, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #18 of 284
My reccs for the D400EX:

Set it to BAL out only
Set it to PRE mode: FIXED Update: Not sure it matters, lately I've been listening at -0.5dB and it's more laid back sounding
Set it to sound color 3

At these settings, it sounds fantastic

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #19 of 284
My amp has only RCA, because most reviews are performed in XLR it's not clear if there is big difference between the two (1,5,10%?). I also thought that these dacs performed best as DAC only (fixed) and are doing well as pre-amp but are not the very best. I never tried this because my D70s is connected to integrated..

Nov 10, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #20 of 284
I have just ordered mine from HiFiGo. It's already on the plane. I am extremely curious. It is my first AKM-based DAC. I have been listening to ESS 9028/38 for years.
Over the last months, I had modded the Topping D90SE to sound fantastic. Alas, I broke it and so I took the opportunity to try something fresh.
Provided there is no warranty seal, I will post detailed images from the inside with parts analysis.
will await your feedback on this. I am a fan of AKM chip DAC :) for my ears, my D70s sounded better than D90SE

best as DAC only (fixed)
Yeah, believe they do not have analog volume and only have digital volume control. Hence best to use fixed output and use pre/integrated to control volume for better sonic performance... I have D70s and it performs best at fixed volume to my ear :)

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #21 of 284
will await your feedback on this. I am a fan of AKM chip DAC :) for my ears, my D70s sounded better than D90SE

Yeah, believe they do not have analog volume and only have digital volume control. Hence best to use fixed output and use pre/integrated to control volume for better sonic performance... I have D70s and it performs best at fixed volume to my ear :)
Another happy D70s user 👍, sure there are better DACS but it's difficult to be sure which DAC will be an upgrade so I'm also waiting for more reviews while enjoying the D70s 🙂

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #26 of 284
Oookay folks, here it is, fresh out of the box warming up. I can already tell that the sound character is different from the ESS DACs I know. A couple of days break-in before I go deeper. It sounds congested and flat, I am sure it can do better.
One thing is already strange: why is "fixed output" sitting at -22.5dB? That's of no use and looks like the first firmware bug to me. I switched to variable output and set it to 0dB.

Edit: Ah, now I get it. The fixed level can be adjusted. It uses the current variable level.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #27 of 284
Nov 11, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #28 of 284
I played with the sound color a bit, but it is too early to tell. The higher ones seem to sound softer, "airier". I'd like to have an explanation from SMSL what these "colors" actually mean technically. What is happening inside?

After a few hours I can safely say that this thing is VERY different from the ESS boxes (Benchmark DAC2, Topping DS90SE, Musetec DA005). The base resolution and contour is much better, so much is sure. Drums and bass guitars feel much better timed and on the point. I can pick them out easier. I am not content with the treble, yet. It stands out in a inhomegenous, forward way, which destroys the spacial image somewhat. Also, the upper mids are not resolved nicely so far. Voices could use more nuances there.

It will not have this characteristical crisp stencil-like presentation of instruments like the ESS tend to have. It rather seems to build the sound from the bottom up, bigger, with more oomph, which is a good trait for sure. The presentation of space is also different. Sometimes it has more, other times it has less to what I am used to. Still confusing.

Despite some tendencies it is too early for a final verdict. I give it at least three days break-in.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #29 of 284
After a few hours I can safely say that this thing is VERY different from the ESS
absolutely it does, that's the point :)

I can't stand the ESS sound

Nov 11, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #30 of 284
Funky DAC. The device becomes visible to the PC only if USB is selected as input. Never seen such behavior before.

Another fun fact: the circuit board is mounted upside down on the top plate. That's why all the connectors are flipped by 180°. Why did they do that? I think for the simple reason that they wanted to hide the six screws, which are now at the bottom, under the feet.

Unfortunately, two screws are covered by the sticker with the serial number on it. No non-destructive way to get to them. This will keep me from looking inside for a few months.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back