The PENON official thread
May 3, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #13,711 of 13,841
Interesting.

I would have been keen to try the more high end Penon products if it wasn’t for the advertorial that the Penon thread is ! I will direct my funds elsewhere ta very much.
This is what I'm talking about.

You are so innocent and courteous here, but elsewhere, you show your true colors and thinking.

Did you correct yourself in that thread after @Dsnuts seemingly explained to your satisfaction that he is not advertising for Penon? I thought not.

May 3, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #13,712 of 13,841
This is what I'm talking about.

You are so innocent and courteous here, but elsewhere, you show your true colors and thinking.

Did you correct yourself in that thread after @Dsnuts seemingly explained to your satisfaction that he is not advertising for Penon? I thought not.

I am allowed that opinion, it isn’t a direct and personal criticism of anyone, just stating that this and various threads do seem like advertising and I personally don’t like that. That is just me and I don’t see that is so bad.

I didn’t have anything to correct in this instance because I simply asked a question, I didn’t state anything. You seem to decide for yourself what I mean rather than just accept that it might just be all at face value.

I show a different side of me elsewhere with you perhaps because you and your buddy saw fit to ridicule me. Once again, in that instance you had to leap in and save the day for the forum. You might recall calling me an arsehole and your buddy corrected you to calling me a twat. Are those your true colours, I assume so.

Like I said, until you stuck your oar in it was a civil conversation with a perfectly good outcome and no ill feeling as best I was aware.

If you don’t appreciate what I might ask you could just leave it alone. It isn’t for you to tell me or anyone how to conduct themselves on a public forum.

EDITED TO ADD: You and I obviously don’t see eye to eye. You take objection if you perceive I am being disagreeable in some way with your mates here. I get that of course but we are here for different reasons so you don’t get me at all. You seem to be here for the camaraderie and that is foremost so you leap in to the defence if you take objection to something. I am not here to be part of a group of online pals, I come here to learn and share technical stuff for the most part, for me it is cathartic. I refrain from venturing my opinion about you and your conduct perhaps you could do the same for me ? There is no reason for animosity unless that is your preference. I still will just leave you alone, if you feel you have some right or obligation to police my conduct have at it there isn’t anything I can do about that. I would, however, appreciate it if you didn’t continue to assume you know anything about me or my personality or motivations here because you don’t. I am a normal bloke who likes the technical stuff and get some pleasure from reading and talking about that. We would probably get on just fine in the real world talking crap over a few beers. Perhaps we can just draw a line under this and move on like adults. It is an internet squabble, nobody wins and we both look like dicks. 😂

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #13,713 of 13,841
Any news on Voltage pricing?

May 4, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #13,717 of 13,841
I mean the thread's name is Penon thread. I don't mind if somethings are shared, till the time it's honest opinions. One can counter those opinions, as at times tastes are relative and personal. However, seeing something at some store with no knowledge, vs someone here sharing their opinion about it, gives me more perspective, and I prefer the latter.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #13,718 of 13,841
I mean the thread's name is Penon thread. I don't mind if somethings are shared till the time it's honest opinions. One can counter as at times tastes are relative and personal. However, seeing something at some store, vs some one here sharing their opinion about it, I prefer the latter.
Agreed, and it's a great thread that is full of info and expertise. And experience.

This is no advertorial, that's a pretty cynical judgment. It just really so happens that Penon is a reputable company with a lot of Fans!

May 4, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #13,719 of 13,841
Agreed, and it's a great thread that is full of info and expertise. And experience.

This is no advertorial, that's a pretty cynical judgment. It just really so happens that Penon is a reputable company with a lot of Fans!
This is just my personal opinion. - Even if there is an advertorial, for example, someone gave Penon 10th anniversary IEM high ranks, there are many here to counter it. I am happier to be aware of multiple opinions, than going blank.

May 4, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #13,720 of 13,841
This is just my personal opinion. - Even if there is an advertorial, for example, someone gave Penon 10th anniversary IEM high ranks, there are many here to counter it. I am happier to be aware of multiple opinions, than going blank.
If someone buys a 10th (like I did), then goes on to like it (like I did), and then writes about that here, isn't that exactly what we want? Same for those who got it and didn't like it.

If you start to identify users whose tastes are close to yours, their opinions can be super helpful. In some ways, the converse also applies, being aware of the user tastes in either case can be helpful.

For it to really be outright advertising, real consideration, not discounts which the entire email list gets, would be required. And like many brands, Penon don't seem to have paid people in the forums.

Only @Penon themselves advertise here, and they pay for it.

May 4, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #13,721 of 13,841
For it to really be outright advertising, real consideration, not discounts which the entire email list gets, would be required.

I nor anyone else indicated that anyone was paid and it was outright advertising. The original comment from another chap that started this conversation asked if he worked for them, it was a question.

I know guys like Dsnuts are not paid staff and I know that would be outside forum rules, I didn’t think that needed to be stated.

Dsnuts stated himself that he gets gear to review and he keeps most of it so it is on hand for comparative purposes. By his own statement he isn’t just getting the discount offered to the entire email list he gets them what I understood to mean free of charge to share opinions. I think that reasonably apparently applies to the other obvious very active contributors here.

I think this comment from Dsnuts make the situation clear:

“ None of the stuff I get is actually mine. Penon sends them to me to audition and sometimes they are sent back to them. They do want me to keep most of the gears I review so I can answer questions … “

That is a form of the ‘consideration’ that you mentioned but we don’t need to go there.

You said:

“… If someone buys a 10th (like I did), then goes on to like it (like I did), and then writes about that here, isn't that exactly what we want? Same for those who got it and didn't like it …. “

Does it make any difference to your perception of the persons opinion if the person didn’t pay for the gear ? It does enter my thought process if I know that and I know I am not alone there because, as you said, this topic has come up in the past.

FOR CLARITY: I have no argument with any of that if there is some transparency and Dsnuts was kind enough to provide that in a polite and courteous manner.

I might have a more cynical view on this than you but having a different view doesn’t make me outright incorrect or lacking an understanding of the facts.

You have a different view to me and that is absolutely fine. You extending your general disapproval of me in a manner that you believe I mean something that isn’t accurate rather take what I say at face value and use terms like troll isn’t so fine. As such I respond to try and provide some clarity and context in defence of your criticism. I am a very straightforward person who says what he thinks with a very logical approach and thought process, much to the chagrin of my wife 😂

You seem to have taken such a dislike to me that you can’t take any of my rebuttal on board and prefer to stick to your assumptions about me. That is OK, like I said I am not here to be part of a group of online mates, but if understanding a few facts about my intentions can perhaps reduce your level of disapproval towards me that would be a better state of affairs so I try to provide you with a better sense of who I am and what I am about. If you prefer to just hang onto the arsehole impression of me that you stated previously I can live with that also.

Of course if you have relegated me to the ignore option then all this is for nought and that is OK to.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #13,722 of 13,841
I nor anyone else indicated that anyone was paid and it was outright advertising. The original comment from another chap that started this conversation asked if he worked for them, it was a question.

I know guys like Dsnuts are not paid staff and I know that would be outside forum rules, I didn’t think that needed to be stated.

Dsnuts stated himself that he gets gear to review and he keeps most of it so it is on hand for comparative purposes. By his own statement he isn’t just getting the discount offered to the entire email list he gets them what I understood to mean free of charge to share opinions. I think that reasonably apparently applies to the other obvious very active contributors here.

I think this comment from Dsnuts make the situation clear:

“ None of the stuff I get is actually mine. Penon sends them to me to audition and sometimes they are sent back to them. They do want me to keep most of the gears I review so I can answer questions … “

That is a form of the ‘consideration’ that you mentioned but we don’t need to go there.

You said:

“… If someone buys a 10th (like I did), then goes on to like it (like I did), and then writes about that here, isn't that exactly what we want? Same for those who got it and didn't like it …. “

Does it make any difference to your perception of the persons opinion if the person didn’t pay for the gear ? It does enter my thought process if I know that and I know I am not alone there because, as you said, this topic has come up in the past.

FOR CLARITY: I have no argument with any of that if there is some transparency and Dsnuts was kind enough to provide that in a polite and courteous manner.

I might have a more cynical view on this than you but having a different view doesn’t make me outright incorrect or lacking an understanding of the facts.

You have a different view to me and that is absolutely fine. You extending your general disapproval of me in a manner that you believe I mean something that isn’t accurate rather take what I say at face value and use terms like troll isn’t so fine. As such I respond to try and provide some clarity and context in defence of your criticism. I am a very straightforward person who says what he thinks with a very logical approach and thought process, much to the chagrin of my wife 😂

You seem to have taken such a dislike to me that you can’t take any of my rebuttal on board and prefer to stick to your assumptions about me. That is OK, like I said I am not here to be part of a group of online mates, but if understanding a few facts about my intentions can perhaps reduce your level of disapproval towards me that would be a better state of affairs so I try to provide you with a better sense of who I am and what I am about. If you prefer to just hang onto the arsehole impression of me that you stated previously I can live with that also.

Of course if you have relegated me to the ignore option then all this is for nought and that is OK to.
No, I have not ignored you, and at the outset I would like to apologize, I did not mean to say you're an arse, but rather was quoting what I believed to be rule #1 across Head Fi, but especially the thread you were commenting in. Yes, that rule being simple, "all opinions are welcome, just don't be an a$$hole." I actually stole it from a favorite musician who says that to his fans, but I think it summarizes the rules here in one easy statement. Nothing is really off limits, but treating each other like they're not just invisible internet posters, but brothers in arms, is the way.

I apologize if I've been the arse. I'm not normally known to be that, so I don't want to stand behind internet curtains and be one. Ideally, had we been in the same room, I would have been more effective with my word choice. Hopefully, we'll run into each other at some point and I'll say this face to face.

I have it on good authority that you're actually a good guy, maybe not so unlike me, perhaps wordier 😁 but I'm a lawyer by trade, so I try to stay succinct (because I know too many lawyers who aren't!).

I can appreciate an opposing opinion as much as the next guy. Still, that golden rule applies, and I will try to follow it before calling you on it.

May 5, 2024 at 2:43 AM Post #13,723 of 13,841
May 5, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #13,724 of 13,841
okay, let's stick to Penon 10 for a moment. There can be multiple scenarios. 1) someone bought it, like Emdeevee 2) Someone was sent a free sample, and the reviewer openly tells everyone "Hey guys this is a free sample I got for the review" like Dsnuts 3) Someone got a free sample and does not disclose it 4) penon gives their own review. These are the broad set of scenarios for any given product.

I would form an opinion by reading any of the four reviews. However, I know it is the internet so I try and form an opinion based on some honesty, consistency, and credibility. I read people's comments on the review, I check other reviews the reviewers have done, and I try and find out more.

In an open forum, it can be confusing as there is at times an overload of information (legit info, hype info, misinformed info), but once you can sort things out I am better off with multiple opinions.

May 5, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #13,725 of 13,841
No, I have not ignored you, and at the outset I would like to apologize, I did not mean to say you're an arse, but rather was quoting what I believed to be rule #1 across Head Fi, but especially the thread you were commenting in. Yes, that rule being simple, "all opinions are welcome, just don't be an a$$hole." I actually stole it from a favorite musician who says that to his fans, but I think it summarizes the rules here in one easy statement. Nothing is really off limits, but treating each other like they're not just invisible internet posters, but brothers in arms, is the way.

I apologize if I've been the arse. I'm not normally known to be that, so I don't want to stand behind internet curtains and be one. Ideally, had we been in the same room, I would have been more effective with my word choice. Hopefully, we'll run into each other at some point and I'll say this face to face.

I have it on good authority that you're actually a good guy, maybe not so unlike me, perhaps wordier 😁 but I'm a lawyer by trade, so I try to stay succinct (because I know too many lawyers who aren't!).

I can appreciate an opposing opinion as much as the next guy. Still, that golden rule applies, and I will try to follow it before calling you on it.

Well that wasn’t the reply I expected !

Thank you very sincerely.

And thank you to the anonymous gent that put in a good word for me, appreciate that whoever you may be.

I would like to think we have both learnt something from this little fracas and will both be a little more self aware moving forward.

I am in an engineering profession so an engineer versus a lawyer might explain the reason for the difference of opinion an approach 😂

Regardless, thank you again and I look forward to seeing more if Ken’s blue nut sack around the place 😂😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back