ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 4, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #196 of 828
Yeah I recommend using the 600V ones, not sure why the 400V were failing, maybe they were liberally rated. So 600V to be on the safe side. Alternative option in the BOM are V-Cap ODAM.
It sounds like a dodgy batch or QA issue if some but not all fail. I meant to ask if there was any difference in sound between the 400v vs the 600v version? Big difference in size when you see them side by side!

May 4, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #197 of 828
Though DIY is not for everyone, not everyone is good at that, pretty sure it's gonna be a trial and error for me if I started with that project :-/

When my ZMF dealer will get an Aegis for demo I'll take my Immanis when I get it there, might be worth it huh, waiting for more reviews on the Aegis

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #198 of 828
When is the release date? So I can start saving up! :sleepy:

May 4, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #199 of 828
May 4, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #200 of 828
It sounds like a dodgy batch or QA issue if some but not all fail. I meant to ask if there was any difference in sound between the 400v vs the 600v version? Big difference in size when you see them side by side!

Nah, I doubt there is any difference, just a matter of reliability.

May 4, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #201 of 828
May 5, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #202 of 828
What kind of caps does the Zmf Aegis actually use if it is built by Cayin?
Would these also be upgradeable if I said I wanted something different?
In general the Vcaps are great caps I use them myself if you are willing to overlook the price of the CuTF you will be compensated.
I also have Vcap odam in the Feliks Euforia and not only did they make it better, they also rewarded me.
The Odam and TFTF caps have been in the Euforia for 3 years and have never had any problems with them.
Only the long burn in time can be long with the caps but even that passes, it's worth it.

May 5, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #203 of 828
What kind of caps does the Zmf Aegis actually use if it is built by Cayin?
Would these also be upgradeable if I said I wanted something different?
In general the Vcaps are great caps I use them myself if you are willing to overlook the price of the CuTF you will be compensated.
I also have Vcap odam in the Feliks Euforia and not only did they make it better, they also rewarded me.
The Odam and TFTF caps have been in the Euforia for 3 years and have never had any problems with them.
Only the long burn in time can be long with the caps but even that passes, it's worth it.
Are you planning on getting an Aegis ? I wonder how much different they would sound compared to our McChanson UltimatE's , especially with ZMF's ? How do they differ design wise ?

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #204 of 828
Are you planning on getting an Aegis ? I wonder how much different they would sound compared to our McChanson UltimatE's , especially with ZMF's ? How do they differ design wise ?
If so, I would opt for the DIY version when the time comes.
I'm currently looking at the instructions for it and I think it would be doable.
But I think our Ultimate is more powerful, it would of course be great to hear a comparison to know whether the effort is worth it 😇.
At the moment I'm planning to move as the landlord has filed a lawsuit and there's not much room for manoeuvre for the hobby at the moment.
Which is really annoying because I have to cut back a bit.

May 5, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #205 of 828

I can't speak to your amp, but in short Aegis utilizes a choke-loaded 6SL7 input stage, cap coupled into a transformer coupled cathode follower output stage. This is the first this output topology has been offered commercially for a headphone amp that I am aware of. The advantage of using a cathode follower output stage over a conventional common cathode output stage seen in all other SET amps is it provides lower distortion, a lower output impedance at the tube cathode for driving the output transformer, and it removes the need for a cathode bypass cap in the output stage common in conventional SET designs, so a cap is removed from the signal path. A cathode follower has no voltage gain, only current gain, so this necessitates a high gain input stage that can swing a lot of voltage at low distortion, which is the role the 6SL7 stage plays.

May 5, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #206 of 828
Our Ultimate is actually a set of amplifiers connected with caps and strapped to pentodes.
Presumably different to the Aegis mentioned above.
Furthermore, our amplifier works with many drivers and output tubes, some of which need adapters.
It offers more choice in that respect.
Apart from that, our amplifier works a little differently.
We had this little conversation a few days ago, we have the possibility here to make lazy tubes sing in their Mu amplification with the different driver tube selection more possibilities, or conversely to dose the driver tube less strongly.

In the end both designs are very special and stand out from commercial amplifiers.
I think that you and Mcchanson have a wealth of experience in such things.
And that's why the amplifiers here cut such a good figure.
The Mcchanson tends to be more for experienced people, and the Zmf Aegis or the DIY is more for the masses, but they both shine in their own way.

May 5, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #207 of 828
Our Ultimate is actually a set of amplifiers connected with caps and strapped to pentodes.
Furthermore, our amplifier works with many drivers and output tubes, some of which need adapters.
We had this little conversation a few days ago, we have the possibility here to make lazy tubes sing in their Mu amplification with the different driver tube selection more possibilities, or conversely to dose the driver tube less strongly.

In the end both designs are very special and stand out from commercial amplifiers.
The Mcchanson tends to be more for experienced people, and the Zmf Aegis or the DIY is more for the masses, but they both shine in their own way.
.... has pride overstepped into elitism?

May 5, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #209 of 828

Well out of respect for another designer's work, I won't comment on your amplifier. But as far as Aegis being "for the masses", I would respectfully disagree. There are differences of philosophy when it comes to tube amplifier design. I do not design amplifiers for the sake of using an innumerable range of tubes. Usually that means compromises are being made to achieve that end. Instead, I design the best circuit using the best tube for the job. If tube rolling is an easily achievable side effect of that process, as is the case with rectifier and output tube choice in Aegis, that is a bonus. Making a better circuit with a more limited tube choice often means the amp sounds great with any tubes, and it is more a matter of flavor for the user. So please do not mistake the small range of input tube choice as a drawback, it is very much by design.

May 5, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #210 of 828
I like to think I am experienced, and the Aegis is my dream amp. :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back