ZMF Caldera Closed
May 5, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #376 of 669
Excellent….Please let me know your impression with MJ3 whenever you can
It is a good pairing. MJ3 bass is awesome and brings out the best slam from the Caldera. Just keep in mind that the MJ3 seems quite DAC picky. Depending on the DAC it can sound a bit flat and uninteresting (Pegasus) or very exciting, energetic and punchy (Cyan 2). MJ3 has a nice, sweet tonality in the mids which is rare in SS amps. The only thing is that with this amp you won't get the absolute highest resolution and best detail retrieval from the Caldera as with higher-end amps it can scale higher technically, but the MJ3 for sure is a fun and entertaining, very dynamic pairing with great, punchy bass.

May 5, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #377 of 669
When I do a review, I like to take notes on my phone as I am listening. I usually listen late at night in bed or early morning in bed. No disturbances and the focus is just on the music. I then take these notes and clean them up and post randomly on the Head-Fi thread for the item. Each post is usually something specific I am discovering that I think might be of interest to others. I post as I am going along especially when it is an IEM or HP that has not been released yet. There is a high interest in the information since not many people have heard the item yet.
I then take all the posts and clean them up and add to them and make them coherent and flowing for review purposes. I do sometimes straight forward reviews or I develop a fictitious character with very specific odd traits and use them as my Muse for an interview method of getting the pertinent information to the reader.

I only review items of interest to me. And I do it for fun. I enjoy the hyper focus needed to put together a review that is hopefully of value to others.

I did an Atticus/Eikon Review for fun awhile back. The Caldera Closed is bringing back memories of that review.

I find that the ZMF house sound is all the way through all HPs. I have owned all of them except the Bokeh I also would like to amuse myself and overgeneralize big time and say that the ZMF HPs fall into two camps. There is the increased detail, clarity and a slight sub bass bump camp of the Eikon/Auteur and Atrium Closed and Open versus the higher resolution, fun with darkness and a slight mid bass bump of the Atticus/Aeolus and Verite Closed and Open camp.

The open and closed of each version stay within one of those camps which makes sense. The closed and open versions have the same exact driver.

For me the Caldera Open and Closed are the first ZMF headphones that do not stay within the same camp. From memory for me the Caldera Open was about the clarity and detail. Very quick. I also had the Audeze LCD 5 at the same time as the Caldera Open and the Caldera did lean (not all the way thankfully) in the direction of the LCD 5 intenseness and clarity of notes.

For me on the other hand the Caldera Closed is in the resolution/darkness and fun camp. That said of course the CC being a Planar driver has for sure a good amount of clarity and detail. What is unique with the CC is that it really has a wonderful “fun” sound for being planar.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, I do think the CO does not have a filter system while the CC does. I am guessing that this allowed Zach to play around with the tuning of the CC to be able to add some fun darkness which the CO has less of.

Those are my thoughts for the moment.

And another picture of Shedua fun:

IMG_5559.jpg

Agree with your impression. Beautiful Shedua btw!

May 5, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #378 of 669
The Caldera closed gives me the Verite Closed vibe as I mentioned before. There is the similarity in the emotions of the notes. The darker warmer sound. The Planar/DD difference is still obvious.

The CC also gives off a lot of DCA Expanse vibe. The Expanse is considered an open back HP but I would call it a semi open back HP. It attenuates about 1/2 to 2/3 of the background noise most likely due to its tuning system (AMTS). The same goes for how much noise bleeds out of the Expanse. So, I treat it like an closed back HP. I do wear the Expanse though when I am the only adult in the house and for sure need to hear my 6 year old from her bedroom say “daaaaaaad” late at night or early morning.

They both are planar so the amount of detail retrieval with both is excellent. They are both fast. They both have the darkness and the fun factor and mid bass vs. sub bass focus. The resolution of both come to the forefront. The notes of both linger a little bit to help feel the emotions of the notes.

CC is easier to drive. Expanse needs a really strong system to shine. The Stealth and Expanse, just like the Susvara really need good systems to shine. They can sound lifeless otherwise. With CC I am guessing but I think it does not need a system build around it to show what it is made of.

CC notes are closer to you in your head. The Expanse notes are a little further out there in space. CC is less dark sounding do to being closer in your head.

The Caldera Closed wins out in the “it makes my toes tap when I put them on” category.

IMG_5605.jpg

May 5, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #379 of 669
The Caldera closed gives me the Verite Closed vibe as I mentioned before. There is the similarity in the emotions of the notes. The darker warmer sound. The Planar/DD difference is still obvious.

The CC also gives off a lot of DCA Expanse vibe. The Expanse is considered an open back HP but I would call it a semi open back HP. It attenuates about 1/2 to 2/3 of the background noise most likely due to its tuning system (AMTS). The same goes for how much noise bleeds out of the Expanse. So, I treat it like an closed back HP. I do wear the Expanse though when I am the only adult in the house and for sure need to hear my 6 year old from her bedroom say “daaaaaaad” late at night or early morning.

They both are planar so the amount of detail retrieval with both is excellent. They are both fast. They both have the darkness and the fun factor and mid bass vs. sub bass focus. The resolution of both come to the forefront. The notes of both linger a little bit to help feel the emotions of the notes.

CC is easier to drive. Expanse needs a really strong system to shine. The Stealth and Expanse, just like the Susvara really need good systems to shine. They can sound lifeless otherwise. With CC I am guessing but I think it does not need a system build around it to show what it is made of.

CC notes are closer to you in your head. The Expanse notes are a little further out there in space. CC is less dark sounding do to being closer in your head.

The Caldera Closed wins out in the “it makes my toes tap when I put them on” category.

IMG_5605.jpg

There have been a few comments about the CC being warmer than the CO, which I believe is correct. One thing we found during tuning was that the CC actually had quite a bit more treble than the CO and we needed to dial it down. We accomplished that through various means, one of which was a heavier front damper. The acoustic resistance of that front damper is higher than that of the mantle mesh used on the CO. The tuning kit for the CC is likely going to offer an option that has a different front damper with a lower acoustic resistance for those that want a bit more upper mids and treble. Removing the front damping entirely is also an option. That's got too much treble energy for me personally, but everything boils down to individual preference and there's really no wrong answer here (including trying the mantle mesh, which would be another different option, and likely to perform different than the CO). As with other ZMFs, there will be some room to dial it in to what works for the listener.

May 5, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #380 of 669

So for me, the 3 reasons I didn’t end up keeping the Expanse is it didn’t have that emotional foot tapping experience across my whole library like my previous Utopia did and what the Cadera open does for me now. And 2, it was too much like a closed headphone in a bad way. It didn’t breathe at all. Putting them on without music felt like there was active noise canceling and my ears were being slightly sucked out. This feeling was worse when I was sick and couldn’t listen to them at all. That’s when I sent them back.

The 3rd thing was that I had trouble getting used the soundstage, at least on my setup. Even though it had a large soundstage, I felt that it started too close to my head. So it seems concerning that your saying the Caldera Closed starts closer to your head than the Expanse. For me the Caldera Open was a breath of fresh air after using the Expanse for a few months. Not only do breathe but also had an airy, euphoric sound.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #381 of 669
So for me, the 3 reasons I didn’t end up keeping the Expanse is it didn’t have that emotional foot tapping experience across my whole library like my previous Utopia did and what the Cadera open does for me now. And 2, it was too much like a closed headphone in a bad way. It didn’t breathe at all. Putting them on without music felt like there was active noise canceling and my ears were being slightly sucked out. This feeling was worse when I was sick and couldn’t listen to them at all. That’s when I sent them back.

The 3rd thing was that I had trouble getting used was the soundstage, at least on my setup. Even though it had a large soundstage, I felt that it started too close to my head. So it seems concerning that your saying the Caldera Closed starts closer to your head than the Expanse. For me the Caldera Open was a breath of fresh air after using the Expanse for a few months. Not only do breathe but also had an airy, euphoric sound.
I had similar experience with the Expanse/Stealth. (Expanse being slightly better.) The sound was like it is in an isolated acoustic chamber. A bit like noise cancellation was on. Not much dynamics either. I found it interesting as a sonic experiment but didn't click with me as a music listening device.

May 5, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #382 of 669

The 3rd thing was that I had trouble getting used the soundstage, at least on my setup. Even though it had a large soundstage, I felt that it started too close to my head. So it seems concerning that your saying the Caldera Closed starts closer to your head than the Expanse. For me the Caldera Open was a breath of fresh air after using the Expanse for a few months. Not only do breathe but also had an airy, euphoric sound.
Valid points with the Expanse. You will for sure not have a similar negative sensation with the Caldera Closed.

May 5, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #383 of 669
I had similar experience with the Expanse/Stealth. (Expanse being slightly better.) The sound was like it is in an isolated acoustic chamber. A bit like noise cancellation was on. Not much dynamics either. I found it interesting as a sonic experiment but didn't click with me as a music listening device.
I agree with you when the Exspanse is on a SS. It needs a tube amp to sound it's best. On the 300MKII it does give me some toe tapping on tracks.

Of course, now you're talking about a 4k+ amp (plus the cost of tube rolling) to make your 4k headphones sound their best.

5 more days!

May 5, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #384 of 669

I had the same experience with the Expanse and let them sit on the stand. I then changed some things, power etc., and they came to life. A totally different and involving headphone, that I thought would be what I originally received, but did not. I also made the cable for the Expanse a universal, so I can use any plug, from 3.5, 4.4, XLR etc.

The Caldera closed would be a nice addition. Easier to drive would make them a friendlier headphones for more amps, which is always welcome.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #385 of 669
Caldera Closed and Atrium Closed:

Song: Dreams by Fleetwood Mac (2002 Remaster). The very first thing that jumps out to me is the sub bass of the AC is more pronounced. The CC is more mid bass focused but the bass blends in super well with everything else. The treble is a little more pronounced on the CC. By a little and of no concern of being too much at any point like some feel with Caldera Open.

The CC needed the volume turned up a little bit compared to the AC. CC preferred being on Lo Impedance and AC Hi impedance when using the Holo Bliss. That is to be expected. With Low impedance the AC bass became a little less clean and the treble became a little too much. With High impedance the CC bass became a little dead and the treble less clean.

I really am not hearing a difference in the mids other than basic Planar versus DD sound. Thank you Zac for keeping the ZMF mids on both extremely special.

Miles Davis, My Funny Valentine (Live Version 1964): This is where the Planar of the CC shows its stuff. Picking up minute details of each instrument. Rather impressive. With AC I am listening to the whole song as one. With CC, I am picking up the details in space.

With CC leaning in the direction of a DD in resolution and musicality, the differences between the two are not massive. The gestalt of the AC shows its stuff though. The big picture of the music. The CC also does that but has the Planar ability of increased clarity and detail. The rumble down under with the AC is very apparent. Not annoyingly but in a good way. That brings the center point for me with the AC in the mid to lower mid-section.

With the mid bass and Treble being prevalent with the CC, the center point for me is the mid to upper mid-section. Hence, most likely the reason I am not able to point out massive differences with the mids of the two. Both mids are excellent. As I have said before, I am not able to tolerate a V shape for very long. I am not hearing a V shape with either of these HPs.

I am guessing over time; I would reach for the CC for either super-fast stuff like Metallica or for slower music with fewer instruments like Modal Jazz or Trio Jazz or simple Folk music. I would reach for AC for all music in-between. Your standard rock bands like Tom Petty for example. Both HPs of course could easily overlap in both directions.

I do not think you could go wrong with either the Caldera Closed or Atrium Closed. Nor could you go wrong with both.

IMG_5558.jpg

May 5, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #386 of 669
The question for me is that with all the headphone tweaks that goes into the Caldera Closed to tame its treble do you lose some of the sound clarity and stage compared to Caldera Open? And is it possible for us to mod the CC as well for our own sound signature?

I realized that some headphones have untamed treble not because of faulty driver but from inadequate amplifiers and DACs. Some of our systems may already counter that so maybe we can undo some of the ZMF mods on the CC?

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #387 of 669
I would reach for the CC for either super-fast stuff like Metallica or for slower music with fewer instruments like Modal Jazz or Trio Jazz or simple Folk music. I would reach for AC for all music in-between.
Many thanks for the post and photo!

Sounds like the CCs will have some qualities in common (and genre fits) with the African Blackwood VCs I own, but with more resolution and speed, and that’s what I was hoping for! Cool- and that Shedua sure looks wonderful!

May 5, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #388 of 669
The question for me is that with all the headphone tweaks that goes into the Caldera Closed to tame its treble do you lose some of the sound clarity and stage compared to Caldera Open? And is it possible for us to mod the CC as well for our own sound signature?

I realized that some headphones have untamed treble not because of faulty driver but from inadequate amplifiers and DACs. Some of our systems may already counter that so maybe we can undo some of the ZMF mods on the CC?
There will be a tuning kit available to go with lighter front mesh than stock. I'm actually shooting the video with measurements on this in like 5 mins when my computer restarts! I do think no mesh would be too much treble for most people but it's an option.

Will post before release this week, plenty of content coming. Interview with @L0rdGwyn is on deck for release tomorrow about the Aegis.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 6, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #389 of 669
Caldera Closed and Atrium Closed:

Song: Dreams by Fleetwood Mac (2002 Remaster). The very first thing that jumps out to me is the sub bass of the AC is more pronounced. The CC is more mid bass focused but the bass blends in super well with everything else. The treble is a little more pronounced on the CC. By a little and of no concern of being too much at any point like some feel with Caldera Open.

The CC needed the volume turned up a little bit compared to the AC. CC preferred being on Lo Impedance and AC Hi impedance when using the Holo Bliss. That is to be expected. With Low impedance the AC bass became a little less clean and the treble became a little too much. With High impedance the CC bass became a little dead and the treble less clean.

I really am not hearing a difference in the mids other than basic Planar versus DD sound. Thank you Zac for keeping the ZMF mids on both extremely special.

Miles Davis, My Funny Valentine (Live Version 1964): This is where the Planar of the CC shows its stuff. Picking up minute details of each instrument. Rather impressive. With AC I am listening to the whole song as one. With CC, I am picking up the details in space.

With CC leaning in the direction of a DD in resolution and musicality, the differences between the two are not massive. The gestalt of the AC shows its stuff though. The big picture of the music. The CC also does that but has the Planar ability of increased clarity and detail. The rumble down under with the AC is very apparent. Not annoyingly but in a good way. That brings the center point for me with the AC in the mid to lower mid-section.

With the mid bass and Treble being prevalent with the CC, the center point for me is the mid to upper mid-section. Hence, most likely the reason I am not able to point out massive differences with the mids of the two. Both mids are excellent. As I have said before, I am not able to tolerate a V shape for very long. I am not hearing a V shape with either of these HPs.

I am guessing over time; I would reach for the CC for either super-fast stuff like Metallica or for slower music with fewer instruments like Modal Jazz or Trio Jazz or simple Folk music. I would reach for AC for all music in-between. Your standard rock bands like Tom Petty for example. Both HPs of course could easily overlap in both directions.

I do not think you could go wrong with either the Caldera Closed or Atrium Closed. Nor could you go wrong with both.

IMG_5558.jpg
Thanks for this comparison as I was on the fence on which one would be for me. Can you add some points regards sound stage differences between the two please.

May 6, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #390 of 669
The qualification typically is, I met the person at a Canjam and they said, "hey I'd like to check out pre-release units and give impressions!" Then usually there's a follow up and sanity check...and that's about it! I like to share with people, but it's easier when I've met the person face to face at least once, but not always.
So, here’s hoping you’ll come to Germany at some point 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back