ZMF Caldera Closed
May 6, 2024 at 6:32 AM Post #391 of 819
Just some more thoughts while listening this morning before work. The depth of the staging with the CC's is quite stunning for a closed back, and something that is really starting to stand out to me. The speed of the drivers let's everything stay well fleshed out, and nothing sounds too diffused or soft despite being further out. The overall balance top to bottom is excellent as well, and like others have mentioned any genre I throw at them sounds perfect. They have a slight dark tilt, with excellent speed and texture, and super deep staging, that just suits my preferences perfectly. Nothing is over exaggerated or peaky sounding. I am really digging Electronica like Max Cooper, Gidge, and Christian Loffler this morning.

I really feel this driver type let's Zach truly strut his stuff with the tuning, and he nailed it out of the park with the CC for my preferences.

May 6, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #392 of 819
Thanks for this comparison as I was on the fence on which one would be for me. Can you add some points regards sound stage differences between the two please.
For me the AC has a more intimate soundstage. The venue is a little smaller and I am closer to the stage. CC has a little bigger stage and I am a few rows back. For closed back HPs, I find no issue with the staging. I do not find either closed in which is an impressive feat by ZMF. That said, for sure the discerning of soundstage is a weakness of mine. I think others will chime in with a better description.

May 6, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #393 of 819
Another thing jumping out at me this morning is how real piano sounds with the CC. I feel the piano is one of the harder instruments to get to sound right (real/lifelike), and the CC nails it.

This headphone just doesn't let up, and has so much going right for it, that it definitely is taking some time to learn all that it has to offer. . .

May 6, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #394 of 819
Got through the weekend with only a few hours listening on both the CO and CC (dam kids!) but wanted to share a few very impulsive early impressions.

Started with the CO on the Stratus, and man did that impress! The CO unit is clearly well used and I'm thinking fully broken in. It sounded very vibrant and fast, with bass that slams hard and decays very quickly. Very typical planar bass, but surprisingly satisfying. I tend to like slower thicker bass like the Atriums, but the CO was holding its own. It's been awhile since i've given a planar any serious play time, and resolution really shocked me. I had forgotten how resolute a good planar driver can be. There's an ethereal quality to the notes as they bloom out of nowhere, solidify, then as quickly decay back to oblivion. The longer decay of the dynamic drives gives such a different presentation.

Tone and timbre was very good, much better than I was expecting. I won't lie, I was excited and eager to try the Calderas, but also assumed they would not be my cup o tea as planars aren't normally my thing due to what I perceive as an unnatural tone/timbre. But there's the usual ZMF magic going on here, a warmth and engagement level that's very addictive. Time will tell if they become my cup o tea, but so far so good. These have a very natural presentation for a planar driver. But I need to qualify that. "For a planar". There's still that slightly metallic hardness/harshness (or steelyness, for lack of a better word) that pervades all planars i've ever listened to. The Calderas do a great job of not sounding harsh/metallic, but are not quite as natural and organic sounding as a good dynamic driver. That being said, these drivers are so good, and the headphone so well tuned, they could finally get me to add one to my full time lineup. Time will tell!

After a very late first Friday night with the CO, I had kid duties all day Saturday, finally getting back to audio after they were in bed for the night. So this time I grabbed the CC, the one I'm most interested in as I need closed back for office listening. Right away I can tell this unit needs to burn in. It doesn't sound as loose and effortless as the CO. Its stiff and a bit ham fisted with it's playback. Telltale signs of a new driver in need of burn in. So I plugged it into my spare amp and let it play overnight and all day Sunday. While that was going on I was getting what could time I could with the CO while dealing with insane kiddos who still love to have daddy play with them. Am I evil for looking forward to when they'll start ignoring me? :)

Fast forward Sunday night, another try with the CC. Right away giving it a good 20-ish hours burn in helped immensely. That stiffness and tightness has mellowed noticeably. Still there, but softer, more expressive and compliant. Now we're talking. First up the Stratus and my audiophile test tracks. I noticed a few things right away vs the CO. The CC is a bit darker, but with somewhat more forward mids, which I really like. Vocals sound nice and up close, where I like them. Treble is stiffer/harsher than the CO, but I think burn in will help alleviate that, time will tell. But man that bass.... tight, fast, impactful, and just plain fun. But I'll still take the AC or Bokeh for bass fun, I like more resonance and decay. Thicc is what I love! But that being said, I wasn't bored with the CC bass at all. In fact I kept searching my playlists for my bassiest music to try on the CC as I was enjoying the low end so much. The Stratus pushed the CC just fine, I was barely using the volume knob to get nice and loud, with dynamics for days. I didn't get the sense the Stratus was limited in it's ability to feed the CC all the current it needs to reach it's full potential. The thicker, warmer tube roll I run on my Stratus gave the CC a nice weight and heft to the mids and low bass.

To test whether the Stratus was up to the task of driving the CC properly, I ran my Jotunheim 2 in parallel so I could go back and forth. With the Jot the tone cooled perceptibly. Bass had a bit more initial bite, but the difference was not huge. Treble did get a bit more steely, but surprisingly not fatiguing at all. I felt the Jot had just a bit more control and power vs the Stratus, but not by much, and given the warmer, more natural tone of the Stratus, it was clear to me it was the way to go based on my preferences. I brought the Jot to work as my Woo WA3 OTL would not be a good amp for any planar driver.

So with only a few good hours of listening time my main takeaway are these are ZMF through and through. Fun and engaging, but also resolute and highly technical. I'm about to mount the protein pads after I post this, and begin a fun day of accounting with the CC at MAXIMUM ADRENALINE!

WARRIOR.gif

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #396 of 819
Love the new driver screen on the CC! Zach, is this the most current screen? And can it be removed for maximum treble? If removable, do I undo the big or little screws? @zach915m

You don't need to remove any screws; it's attached with adhesive. Carefully peel it off so that you can put it back on later. Also, I would be careful not to put your fingers on the mesh itself.

May 6, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #397 of 819
You don't need to remove any screws; it's attached with adhesive. Carefully peel it off so that you can put it back on later. Also, I would be careful not to put your fingers on the mesh itself.
Thanks Dave! Still debating if I want to take it off, the treble is pretty potent as is.

For pad rolling, which pad brings the warmest, thickest bass? I had the hybrid stock pads in which hit pretty hard. Swapped to the protein pads and surprisingly found it lessened the bass and brightened up the sound signature. Going to try the leather Caldera Closed Thick soon, hopefully that takes me in the direction i want to go. On the Bokeh the protein pads were the bassiest. I'm thinking that won't be the case here, though I'm still learning the headphone/pads.

May 6, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #398 of 819
I would reach for the CC for either super-fast stuff like Metallica
Very nice comparison between two excellent closed backed headphones. I agree with you on the speed aspect as well. When I first began putting the CC through its paces, I tried out this track to test the speed. Would the double kick be a blurry mess, or would it be well defined?
At first I wasn't particularly impressed, but after putting some mileage on the drivers, maybe 25-40 hours, and switching to the ZMF Lektrik cable, this track opened up on the CC.

When I get to the a/b portion of my review, I'm going to bounce a hardwood AC off of the CC.

BTW, if anyone in this thread is into thrash/speed metal, this band from India(!) gets the horns up \m/

May 6, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #399 of 819
Thanks Dave! Still debating if I want to take it off, the treble is pretty potent as is.

For pad rolling, which pad brings the warmest, thickest bass? I had the hybrid stock pads in which hit pretty hard. Swapped to the protein pads and surprisingly found it lessened the bass and brightened up the sound signature. Going to try the leather Caldera Closed Thick soon, hopefully that takes me in the direction i want to go. On the Bokeh the protein pads were the bassiest. I'm thinking that won't be the case here, though I'm still learning the headphone/pads.
Definitely the protein pads again:

Pads 8.png

May 6, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #400 of 819

Yeah, I personally think the treble is too much with nothing on there. If you ask Zach, he'll probably send you out a different mesh with a lower value damper, which is probably the safer bet. I believe that particular mesh is going to be offered with the tuning kit. It's a tad brighter than I'd like, but I suspect some folks will enjoy it.

As far as the pads, I would certainly try the CC Thick.

May 6, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #401 of 819
Very nice comparison between two excellent closed backed headphones. I agree with you on the speed aspect as well. When I first began putting the CC through its paces, I tried out this track to test the speed. Would the double kick be a blurry mess, or would it be well defined?
At first I wasn't particularly impressed, but after putting some mileage on the drivers, maybe 25-40 hours, and switching to the ZMF Lektrik cable, this track opened up on the CC.

When I get to the a/b portion of my review, I'm going to bounce a hardwood AC off of the CC.

BTW, if anyone in this thread is into thrash/speed metal, this band from India(!) gets the horns up \m/

Thrash is my all time favorite genre and these dudes are fun! Great share, i'll be checking out their library today for sure. With the protein pads on those guitars shred! Nice crunch and bite, not fatiguing to my ear, though a bit brighter than I'm used to. We'll see how a full day with these pads turn out.

May 6, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #402 of 819

Not thrash but one of favorite new bands

May 6, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #403 of 819
I'll have that video up this week before release showing how to do the mesh's and such - shot the video late last night - I think it's gonna be a real hit and that the dawg would approve.

I think for your tastes that you'll like the thick - but the pad that measures with the most bass is indeed the protein, but the perception will vary and is why HRTF stuff is important the why I always feel the need to have a few pad options.. I do think that the DNA amps while having some wonderful mid-range - may not be the hardest hitting in the bass department, not that it lacks bass - just comparatively to other amps.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 6, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #404 of 819
I'll have that video up this week before release showing how to do the mesh's and such - shot the video late last night - I think it's gonna be a real hit and that the dawg would approve.

I think for your tastes that you'll like the thick - but the pad that measures with the most bass is indeed the protein, but the perception will vary and is why HRTF stuff is important the why I always feel the need to have a few pad options.. I do think that the DNA amps while having some wonderful mid-range - may not be the hardest hitting in the bass department, not that it lacks bass - just comparatively to other amps.
How would you compare the Aegis to the DNA specifically in the bass department for the CC?

If the thick tamps down the treble vs the protein i could see them giving the impression of being bassier even if they're not actually so. I want to give the protein the day to get used to them, then tomorrow i'll mount the thick on for some comparison. And it's not like the protein are lacking bass, I think the treble is just dominating my attention. The treble is really good as I've not experienced any fatigue yet, despite the total treble quantity being a bit north of my preference. Guitar tracks are so exciting it, it's an experience. I'm just curious after a few hours how i'll be feeling. But so far so good!

I do need to rethink my amp situation for work I think. I'm not a huge solid state amp user, but other than the DNA, lack a tube amp with enough grunt for planars. The Jot 2, while very good for a solid state, is just a bit too sterile for my tastes. I'm missing the DNA immensely right now. I cannot wait for Friday and the Aegis! :) That's going to be my work amp once in hand, i'm beyond excited.

Speaking of the launch, do you anticipate a quick sellout? Like if we're not hammering the order button the minute of launch are we going to miss out?

May 6, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #405 of 819
So will the initial offering at the release offer a choice of pad that is installed when shipped?
Also, have any of few people who have heard the CC used a Chord DAC? (I have a DAVE, which I feel is neutral but can be a little bright.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back